Late Eighteenth Century Library Telescope by Dollond of London

Late Eighteenth Century Library Telescope by Dollond of London

£2400.00

Late Eighteenth Century Library Telescope by Dollond of London

Dimensions

H: 57 x L: 143 x W: 9cm

Circa

1790

Country of manufacture

UK and Ireland

Categories: Technology, Telescopes, Office Antiques, Telescopes - Refracting

Description

For sale a late eighteenth century achromatic desktop library telescope by Dollond of London.

A telescope of outstanding quality and presence from one of the foremost London scientific instrument makers of the period, it is comprised of a 43 inch tapering mahogany barrel which retains its original red paint finish and a two and three quarter inch diameter objective lens. With the inclusion of the detachable eyetube the telescope is extended to 53.5 inches in length

The telescope is focused by means of a rack and pinion movement which operates a secondary 3 inch barrel and the maker’s name “Dollond, London” is expertly engraved to the surrounding collar. The body is secured upon a solid brass 19.5 inch high tripod base with tapering shaft upon articulated claw feet.

This fine instrument comes complete with its original mahogany packing case and two additional eyepieces. It also retains its original brass objective dust cap and with superb attention to detail, it also has a secondary eyepiece dust cap that is fitted in place of the eyetube when the telescope is packed away.  

As with all things emanating from the Dollond workshop, this instrument bears all the hallmarks of great design and skilled manufacture and it retains superb and useable optics.

The Dollond Company was set up in Hatton Garden in 1750 by Peter Dollond with his father John joining him shortly after. John Dollond’s invention of the achromatic lens (although bitterly disputed) led to his award of the Copley Medal by The Royal Society in 1758 and following this success, Dollond moved to The Strand where the company was appointed optician to George III and the Duke of York in 1761. John Dollond Senior died in the same year, however the business was continued by the brothers Peter and John Dollond (P&J Dollond)

Following the death of his brother John in 1804, Peter Dollond took his nephew George Huggins into partnership and after a change in surname, the company contined under a refreshed Dollond partnership until Peter’s death in 1820, the same year that they were jointly made opticians to George IV.

The company continued its association with royalty and went on to win a Great Exhibition Medal in 1851, a year before George’s death. His nephew (also George) succeeded in the ownership until his death in 1866 wherafter his son William continued to run the business. William was the final Dollond family member to run the company, finally selling out to a former employee of the company, JR Chant in 1871 who renamed the company as Dollond & Co. After this point a partnership was formed between Chant and Tyson Crawford (as Financial Controller) with the latter taking sole ownership in 1892 until his retirement in 1903. It was then sold to the Parson Brothers who turned Dollond into a Limited Company in 1907. Having suffered from the effects of the First World War and further compounded by poor management, the company was finally merged with Aitchison & Co in 1927 whereafter it became Dollond & Aitchison. It remained a familiar site on the British High Street until 2009 whereafter it became part of Boots the Opticians.

A fine example of the superior design and build quality of the Dollond Company, both the proportions and the care of manufacture make this seemingly standard design makes it clear why they were so revered during their time.

Circa 1790

Ask the Dealer

Item enquiry

To enquire about this item, complete the form bellow to send a message to the Dealer

Enter Email
Confirm Email
Sending