An cased gyroscope known as an Obry gear for directing a torpedo. Produced by Whitehead & Co, dated 1943.
The case is marked T371, W&L, and with a Broad-Arrow. The top of the gyroscope it is marked 10040 ARK X.
Patented in 1894 by Lodovico (Ludwig) Obry from Trieste.
The torpedo represents one of the most important developments in the late 19th and 20th-century warfare.
For comparable Whitehead gyroscopes see:
Royal Navy Submarine Museum, Gosport.
Canadian War Museum, Ottawa.
Width: 26 cm.
Depth: 23 cm.
Height: 17.5 cm.